My parents and their friends decided to have a party for the Superbowl a few years back, and I, being less than interested in sports, decided to stick around where all the snacks were. Some snacks were better than others– the spinach dip outmatched the guacamole by far– however, most of the food consisted of chips or vegetables thrown on to a plate with some ranch dip. Then my mom’s Cajun friends arrived. Like all good Cajuns, they brought a snack with a little bit of heat to it; they had a wonderful name for it, too: snake bites. This was my favorite dish by far. I must have eaten over half the snake bites on the party plate. Here’s the recipe:
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 24 Snake Bites
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 12 jalapeno peppers
- 12 slices bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil
- Halve the jalapenos lengthwise. Remove the seeds and membrane
- Mix cream cheese and Cheddar cheese together in a bowl until evenly blended
- Fill each jalapeno half with the cheese mixture. Wrap each stuffed pepper with a slice of bacon.
- Arrange bacon-wrapped peppers on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bacon is crispy, about 30 minutes
If you want to have some fun, seed the jalapenos rather carelessly. This will result in some snake bites being spicier than others. Snake bite roulette!